[cups.development] [RFE] STR #1182: Support for ident authentication

Bernard B bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue May 17 13:23:54 PDT 2005

[STR New]

Ident authentication support for CUPS would be great, so that proper
accounting can be done even when users print from (trusted) remote
machines.

Here's a sample proof-of-concept patch that does it, applies against
1.1.23 (latest in Debian). I can clean it up and make it more complete if
there's interest (doco, example conf files). To use it, you specify your
safe ident hosts in an allow-deny fashion:

IdentAllow 10.11.12.0/24
IdentDeny All
IdentOrder deny,allow

and set "AuthType Ident" in the appropriate section you'd like.

One hacky thing it currently does is fall back to basic authentication if
ident fails. It really should do something more configurable, but I can't
think of anything at the moment.

Please let me know if I've hit this nail with a sledgehammer and there's
really a much easier way to do remote accounting with ident!

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1182
Version: 1.2-feature