Epson 2200 over firewire

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Wed May 18 10:31:49 PDT 2005

> David Shay wrote:
> > "Michael Sweet" <mike at easysw.com> wrote in message
> > news:40FA0A02.5070104 at easysw.com...

> > device

> > running

> > under

> > kernel

> >>The 2200 does not support SCSI over firewire, only the PWG protocol.
> >>

> > So does that mean that the Epson 2200 over firewire is not compatible at all
> > with CUPS?  Therefore the entry at linuxprinting.org
> > (http://www.linuxprinting.org/epson-faq.html#Epson-Stylus_Photo_2200_1) is
> > incorrect?  Anyway to make this work?
>
> We were working on a Firewire backend that talked the PWG protocol,
> and there was another user doing this as well, however the Linux
> Firewire support is still unstable and doesn't appear to support
> the transfer modes needed for the PWG protocol.  Therefore,
> development of the Linux backend has stopped, but Apple has ported
> it to MacOS X, so you will have it there at least...
>
> The USB interface is fast enough to drive the 2200.  The Stylus
> Pro printers that support Firewire via the TypeB interface card
> support SCSI over Firewire printing (DIP switch setting change
> required) and most other vendors support it as well.  IIRC, HP
> is also supporting IP over Firewire, so you can use the AppSocket
> (port 9100) type of connection for them.
>
> --
> Printing Software for UNIX                       http://www.easysw.com

1) How old is this article? We have now May and this is posted in June of which year?

2)  At my mainboard USB is not working, but my Soundblaster Audigy sound card presents
Firewire, which do initiate at boot on (Gentoo) kernel 2.6.11.x. Now I need a new printer and I can currently buy some Epson's models with Firewire connectors:
- Epson Stylus Photo R800
- Epson Stylus Photo R1800

Do I have a chance to use these printers with it?

Georg Sahli , g--g at netcologne.de , 10.May.2005 , 19:30 CET