[cups.development] CUPS 1.2 snapshot

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon May 30 06:16:22 PDT 2005

Jerome Alet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since I saw the announcement on cups.org's homepage, I've downloaded
> the 1.2 snapshot, and quickly gave a look at the backends' code.
>
> It seems that only the IPP backend is able to wait for the
> printer to finish printing before returning, using a dedicated
> option.
>
> Is a similar functionnality planned for other backends as well ?
> (I understand that the IPP backend uses the IPP protocol for this,
> and this is not doable with IPP for other backends)
>
> This would be GREAT !

Actually, the socket backend does a partial close of the connection
and waits for the printer to finish closing the connection when the
printer is done printing.  This works for all internal HP JetDirect
interfaces.

There is also the new port monitor stuff (I don't think it is in the
public repo or snapshot yet) which will allow you to add a filter
between the driver and backend which adds printer-specific commands
and/or interprets backchannel data, so it will be possible to have
a PJL port monitor to do accurate page accounting, for example, over
any bidirectional interface.