ident support

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Nov 2 10:15:35 PST 2005

timo at proescholdt.de wrote:
> Hi guys,
>

> I want to add ident support to cups, in order to avoid
> password authentication to have to take place.

See STR #1182:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1182

> Second I thought about somewhere in scheduler/ipp.c line 315
> (cups-1.1.23)
>
> if ((username = ippFindAttribute(con->request, "requesting-user-name", IPP_TAG_NAME)) != NULL)
>
> could be replaced by something like
>
> if (( username = authConnection(con,"ident") != NULL )
>
> what do you guys think? I'd personally prefer the second
> variant, but wanted to ask first before starting to code..

That isn't the proper place for it.

See the patch attached to STR #1182.  Ultimately this won't make it
into CUPS before CUPS 1.3, and it will need a lot of changes for the
new AAA interfaces added in CUPS 1.2, but the ident-based
authentication needs to be part of the HTTP authentication layer,
not the IPP layer...