[cups.development] Interface Version for CUPS 1.2

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun Nov 13 13:31:13 PST 2005

Taj Morton wrote:
> On 11/13/05, Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> wrote:
>> Still 2.x.  The current developer snapshots have a DSO version of 2.7
>> (CUPS 1.1.x had everything from 2.0 through 2.6) which is backwards-
>> compatible with all 1.1.x releases.
> CUPS 1.1.x had a DSO of something other than 2.0? What version? I have
> cups-1.1.23-i486-1, and it installed /usr/lib/libcups.so.2.

We only install using the major version number; internally we add the
ABI version on platforms that support it.

We *don't* use the libfoo.so.major.minor versioning scheme with symlinks
to libfoo.so and libfoo.so.major right now, mainly because you still
need to use a soname of libfoo.so.major and because it isn't the
convention used on other ELF-based platforms.

> However, it's safe to map interface version 2.7 to software
 > version 1.2, right?

Yes.