Make error on Solaris 10 w/ cups 1.1.23

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Mon Nov 28 11:21:35 PST 2005

> sleepy wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > We are running Solaris 10 on SPARC technology, and the box in question is an ULTRA5 workstation.  I have a fresh install of Solaris 10, and am attempting to install cups 1.1.23, which I downloaded from cups.org.
> >
> > Solaris 10 comes with cups 1.1.21 installed, and I have renamed the cups folder inside /opt/sfw to cups.old so as not to overwrite it when compiling the new package.
> >
> > The configure runs just fine, and I have specified the /opt/sfw/cups folder using the --prefix= option.  The problem comes up about 1/2 way through the make command, when the process attempts to compile testhttp.
> >
> > The terminal output is as follows:
> >
> > Compiling testhttp.c...
> > Linking testhttp...
> > Undefined                       first referenced
> >  symbol                             in file
> > gnutls_set_default_priority         libcups.a(http.o)
> > gnutls_certificate_free_credentials libcups.a(http.o)
> > gnutls_init                         libcups.a(http.o)
> > gnutls_record_send                  libcups.a(http.o)
> > gnutls_record_recv                  libcups.a(http.o)
> > gnutls_record_check_pending         libcups.a(http.o)
> > gnutls_credentials_set              libcups.a(http.o)
> > gnutls_global_init                  libcups.a(http.o)
> > gnutls_bye                          libcups.a(http.o)
> > gnutls_deinit                       libcups.a(http.o)
> > gnutls_transport_set_ptr            libcups.a(http.o)
> > gnutls_certificate_allocate_credentials libcups.a(http.o)
> > gnutls_handshake                    libcups.a(http.o)
> > ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to testhttp
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > *** Error code 1
> > The following command caused the error:
> > gcc -L../cups -L../filter   -R/opt/sfw/cups/lib -Wall -fPIC -O2 -o testhttp testhttp.o libcups.a -lsocket -lnsl
> > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `testhttp'
> > Current working directory /local/cups-1.1.23/cups
> > *** Error code 1
> > The following command caused the error:
> > for dir in cups backend berkeley cgi-bin filter man pdftops  scheduler systemv; do\
> >         echo Making all in $dir... ;\
> >         (cd $dir ; make ) || exit 1;\
> > done
> > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
> >
> > I am not sure where to go from here...please advise with any comments, questions, etc.  Any advice is welcomed!
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > sleepy
>
> It seems that configure fails to recognize that the GNU TLS stuff is not installed (it isn't by default
> on Solaris whatsoever)).
> As a workaround, run configure with the option
> 	--disable_gnutls
> and try again.
>
> Helge
>
> --
> Helge Blischke
> Softwareentwicklung
> SRZ Berlin | Firmengruppe besscom
> [...]

Helge,

Thank you so much for the reply!!  Your suggestion worked, and cups 1.1.23 is now compiled and installed on Solaris 10.  :)

Just to clarify one thing in case someone copy/pastes your suggestion...the actual syntax for the configure option is

--disable-gnutls with a hyphen and not an underscore...

Thanks again,

sleepy