[CRIT] STR #1285: PS-Files generated by windowshave trailing ^M

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Oct 5 06:58:43 PDT 2005

Stefan Hildenbrand wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, here is our present configuration:
> We have a samba-server that serves at the same time as print server.
> Installed versions are: Samba 3.0.11, CUPS 1.1.23, the latest windows drivers (v6 from svn)
>
> The ppd-Files in /etc/cups/ppd are like the one posted in the str, w/o the cups-stuff at the end (file ends after "*cupsProtocol: None")
>
> I did not change the mime.* files (therefore there's no filter for
> "application/octet-stream"). To my understanding this means :
>  - Print jobs from windows (created w/ pscript5.dll etc.) arrive at the
>    cups-server and are then
>  - processed according to the filter
> "application/postscript  application/vnd.cups-postscript 66 pstops" with
>    pstops and then
>  - sent to the (HP) printer.
>
> Some other interesting information:
>  - The workaround with hpnpf works - sometimes, sometimes it does not --
>    in the latter case, we get an "offending command"  again (not
>    reproducible in my opinion)
>
>  - Sending the same files to our color laser printer (LJ 4550) works
>    almost always whereas the problems described apply to the (newer)
>    LJ 4200 -- with the latest firmware. by the way.
>
>  - The crashed printer (LJ4200) sometimes looks as if it is operated by
>    MS windows, as the stack shows many dll's :)
>
> Any help is highly appreciated .... our users start grumbling
>
> Stefan

Well, now we need some more information. Please post an URL to a sample PostScript file
(set the printer to stop, print something, save the dnnnn-001 file under a different name
and post an URL to that), and post the error messages from the printer's error page, please.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung