[CRIT] STR #1285: PS-Files generated by windowshave trailing ^M

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Oct 6 05:33:04 PDT 2005

Stefan Hildenbrand wrote:

> Hi,
>
> you find the buggy (?) PS-File at :
>
> http://www.staff.uni-bayreuth.de/~btat09/problem.ps
>
> The printer error page is as follows:

> ERROR: typecheck
> OFFENDING COMMAND: setlinejoin
>
> STACK:
>
> -dictionary-
> /Pscript_WinNT_Full
>
> To get more details, I installed a similar configuration (samba 3.0.14 & cups, this time the svn-version) on a different machine - from scratch.
> I used the laserjet.ppd -- and printing worked (however, in this case I
>      can not set too many printer properties
>
> with my other (problem) .ppd -- it did not work
> with the ppd from linuxprinting.org it did not work at first, but after
>   manipulating  the original ppd w/
> *cupsVersion:   1.1
> *cupsManualCopies: False
> *cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-raster 0 rastertohp"
> *cupsModelNumber: 0
>      it works.
>
> So it seems to me that
>   I) the ppd-file we used has some problems
>  II) I could get a workaround with filtering to cups-raster
>
> Would this have any (negative) effect on the print quality?
>
> Thanks,
> Stefan

First, your printer, if it really is a HP 4200 DTN, is a printer that speask PostScript
level 3 (though, I suspect, not using an Adobe licensed interpreter). Thus, there is no need
whatsoever to use things like pstoraster, foomatic or whatever tools are around there. So use
the vendor supplied PPD only and configure the defaults according to your needs.

Second, get the latest cupsaddsmb and printer driver binaries (the "version 6 stuff") from
svn.easysw.com/public/windows/trunk, complile cupsaddsmb, and re-install your printer on your
Windows box(es). I suspect you are using the bogus version 5 driver which has been superceded by the
version 6 driver because of a lot of severe errors.

Third, to get sufficient diagnostic info, set LogLevel to debug or debug2 and restart cupsd.
Then print your test file(s), swith back to the default log level info, and save the portion
of your error_log that is full of "D" and "d" messages. Post (an URL to) them for analysis.

Among others, sou should find messages that indicate that CUPS recognized the job as
"application/postscript" and started the pstops filter, no other filters, and the backend
your printer is driven by.

Helge

PS: BTW, your problem.ps printed successfully on all of the HP printers I tested it on.
--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung