[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1311: if the /var/spool/cups filesystem is full, no error is returned to requests coming in via lpr -- thus, print requests are lost

Peter Prasnik peter.prasnik at edeka.de
Fri Oct 7 06:21:59 PDT 2005

[STR New]

I tested with cups 1.1.23 on a RedHat EL 4 . I created a separate
filesystem for the spooling area, /var/spool/cups, and filled that
completely.
Then I submitted a print request to that server from a Solaris-9 system
via lpr.
cups emitted error messages on /var/log/messages:
Oct  4 14:16:20 <hostname> cups-lpd[2422]: Receive print job for
<printername>
Oct  4 14:16:20 <hostname> cups-lpd[2422]: Unable to print file -
client-error-request-value-too-long
an similar ones in /var/log/cups/error_log.

However, no error is returned to the Solaris system sending the print
request, so Solaris deletes it. Cups, lacking the space, cannot allocate
it. Thus, the print request gets lost while cups pretends everything was
processed correctly.

Cups SHOULD return an error to the sending system so that the print
request could be queued there until the spcace problem is fixed.