CUPS File Size Limitation?

Adam Lelean alelean at papermule.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 02:51:58 PDT 2005

> Anonymous wrote:
> > I have heard some rumors that CUPS has a 2 GB file size limitation.
> > Has anybody else?  I have a customer using Mac OS 10.3.3 whose large
> > 2+ GB Quark files are crapping out when he prints to his PS printer.
>
> Current CUPS does not support files larger than 2GB.  CUPS 1.2 will
> utilize the appropriate 64-bit file APIs, when available, in order
> to support files greater than 2GB.
>
> That said, IIRC the current HTTP spec does not support files larger
> than 2GB so we may need to "bend the rules" a bit for the CUPS
> server, and many network printers do not support print files larger
> than 2GB as well.
>
> IPP can only handle file sizes up to 1 terabyte (2^31-1 kbytes), so
> that will be the likely limit for the foreseeable future.

I'm in a similar situation to the original poster. The Macs are spooling to a linux box where the files are distilled into high res PDF's. I believe this problem may be fixed in Mac OS 10.4.2, Does anyone have any idea when this will be fixed in the core version of CUPS.
Thanks in advance for any assistance
Adam Lelean