[cups.bugs] Re: Re: [HIGH] STR #1311: if the /var/spool/cups filesystem is full, no error is returned to requests coming in via lpr -- thus, print requests are lost [Auf Viren geprüft]

Peter.Prasnik at edeka.de Peter.Prasnik at edeka.de
Tue Oct 11 02:20:01 PDT 2005

Well, if you can't do anything about this, who could?
Excuse me, I'm not a developer and at this point not prepared to discuss
data structures.
The problem is that there is no space in /var/spool/cups to process the
incoming request. So if you say there is no status
byte that could be returned AFTER THE JOB FILES HAVE BEEN RECEIVED--
why receive them in the first place (sucessfully, as cups pretends) if
/var/spool/cups is full? (By the way, what space are they received into --
if there is no space left on the spooling filesystem?)
Could you not perhaps abort the reception of the job files( thus render it
unsucessful and signal an error to the sending lpr)  if the spooling
filesystem does not have the space to process them?
The case I describe IS an error, if cups-lpd doesn't handle it, who (what
program) is supposed to do it?
On our cups servers, we use backends that create pdf files for archival out
of incoming print requests. These files contain critical data and may not
be lost . In the case described, no pdfs are created . Cups returns no
error, pretending everything worked fine. In this environment, the error I
describe is a real problem. Was it wrong to expect of a print server  that
if I send a print request to it, that request will only be accepted without
error if there is no error?

Kind regards,

Peter Prasnik
____________________________________
EDEKA Aktiengesellschaft
GB Datenverarbeitung
Field Service Stuttgart
Breite Straße  2
D-70173 Stuttgart
Germany

                      Michael Sweet
                      <mike at easysw.com         An:      Peter Prasnik <peter.prasnik at edeka.de>
                      >                        Kopie:   Peter Prasnik <peter.prasnik at edeka.de>
                                               Thema:   Re: [HIGH] STR #1311: if the /var/spool/cups filesystem is full, no error
                      10.10.2005 19:59         is returned to requests coming in via lpr -- thus,  print requests are lost [Auf
                      Bitte antworten          Viren geprüft]
                      an cups-bugs

[STR Active]

Unfortunately, I do not see anything we can do for this case - there is no
acknowledgement/status byte sent to the client after the job files have
been received, so there is no way for us to tell the sender that the final
job submission failed.

We can (and do) check for a valid destination that is accepting jobs, and
then report any errors in writing the temporary spool files before they
are transferred to cupsd, however we can't submit the job until we have
received all of the subcommands from the client (we detect the end of the
subcommands by the client closing its connection...)