[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #1320: Configuring the command line clients is not well described

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Oct 16 15:25:45 PDT 2005

[STR New]

I spent longer than necessary finding why my lp, lpr, lpq clients didn't
work on my print server while other machines on my LAN were able to use
printer services and I could print test pages locally. I eventually
tracked it down to the fact that I'd configured and uncommented the
ServerName directive in /etc/cups/client.conf. Commenting out that
directive fixed the problem, but the documentation didn't help at all.

The changes I'd like to see are:

Add a FILES section to all the client manpages. This should list the
/etc/cups/client.conf and .cupsrc files.

Extend the "Specifying a Single Server for Printing" section of the "CUPS
Software Administrators Manual" to inclide a warning that if you define
the ServerName in this file on the print server then the local print
clients will fail to work.