Trying to debug a printerdriver..

Johan Henselmans johan at netsense.nl
Tue Oct 18 07:11:17 PDT 2005

Hi,

I am trying to develop a printer driver for a label printer that accepts
pcx data or some format that contains of a set of bytes, <CR> another
set of bytes. The byte contains a bitmap of 8 pixels.

I was trying to get this thing to work with a rastertoepson/hp/dymo
example, but somehow the thing does not give any output.

I get output when I just echo "hello world"> /dev/usb/lp0.

I added some debug code to the driver, and I am trying to see what happens.

Now my theory would be that I would call:
/usr/lib64/cups/filter/texttops job-id johan title 1 options
rastertoboca.c | /usr/lib64/cups/filter/pstoraster | ./rastertoboca | less

and would see the debug output. Alas, I only see DEBUG2 output from the
previous steps. What am I doing wrong? Did I miss something?

My next step would then be:
/usr/lib64/cups/filter/texttops job-id johan title 1 options
rastertoboca.c | /usr/lib64/cups/filter/pstoraster | ./rastertoboca >
/dev/usb/lp0

Does this make sense?

Johan