[cups.development] Re: [RFE] STR #1319: natural-scaling one pageonly

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sat Oct 29 18:47:02 PDT 2005

Andreas Thomsen wrote:
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>> Andreas Thomsen wrote:

>>> Ok, would you please consider this as a feature request. I know
>>> serveral people in my Linux User Group, who would consider this as
>>> quite helpful.
>>>
>>> Adobe Acrobat Reader -- just as a example -- calls this behaviour
>>> "shrink oversize pages to paper size".
>> Yeah, but that feature is equivalent to "scaling=100"!
>>
> Hi Michael, Hi All!
>
> My apologies for my lack of English or my ability to make it clear. I
> try again to explain what I'm thinking of. Or maybe I just don't
> understand the manuals.
>
> Anyway, my understanding of the manual is, that there are two options
> of scaling.
>
> Firstly, scaling=xxx, which scales an image to the given percentage of
> the output page size, i.e. if I state scaling=100 cups scales an image
> to the full page size, regardless what the image size is, e.g. an 1
> cm² image is scaled to full A4 or the other way round a A3 image is
> scaled down to A4.

All of the scaling options preserve the aspect ratio (i.e. shape) of the
image you are printing.  If you provide a 1x1cm image, it will get
scaled up to ~21x21cm on A4 paper, etc.

> Secondly, natural-scaling=xxx, which scales the image to a given
> percentage of the original image size, i.e. if I state
> natural-scaling=100 I get a 1:1 copy of the image, e.g. a 1 cm² image
> stays at 1 cm² and an overlarge image uses multiple pages.
>
> The feature that I request (and some of my friends as well) is, that
> it should be possible, not to use multiple pages for images that
> exceed the page margins when using natural-scaling, but -- at the
> users choice -- simply ignore the margins and print all that fits into
> the page and drop the rest, or scale the image down to fit the paper size.

Right, and as I've pointed out before, this just isn't a use case we
are particular interested in adding at this time.  There are plenty of
apps that allow you to do this already, such as Gimp, xv, eog, etc.