[cups.development] Deleting printers that have no backend

Jim Fehlig jfehlig at novell.com
Thu Sep 1 13:14:55 PDT 2005

Johannes Meixner wrote:

>Hello,
>
>On Aug 31 Jim Fehlig wrote (shortened):
>

>>I have encountered configurations where it is possible
>>to have printers installed with no corresponding backend
>>to communicate with the target device.  Details can be
>>provided at how I arrived at such a configuration, but
>>don't believe it is terribly relevant.
>>

>Those details are in fact "terribly relevant" - see below ;-)

Why?  I was simply inquiring about changing behavior from stopping to
deleting a printer when no backend is found.  I will fix the problem
that caused me to arrive at such a configuration and did not want to
discuss it here as it is not relevant to CUPS.  I only posted the
details at Helge's request.

My problem just got me to thinking that perhaps the current behavior of
CUPS should change, thus the post to the list for comments.

Jim