[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1262: Occasionally cups reports "Unable to

Phil Long PhilLong69 at netscape.net
Sun Sep 4 18:25:48 PDT 2005

[STR New]

Printer = HP LJ1300 on a usb connection, using the HP PPD
fedora cups-1.1.23-15.1
But from the web lots of people with usb and network printers of all sorts
seem to run into this problem

Installed/Patched Fedora Core 4, noticed gui did not correctly enable
sharing to ie the mac even when requested to do so on ie eth0.  Manually
modified /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and everyting worked great.  For a while.

Very frequently the printer would just stop working.  Looking at
http://localhost:631/printers showed

Location: LJ1300
Printer State: stopped, accepting jobs.
"Unable to send print file to printer: No such device"
Device URI: usb:/dev/usb/lp0

lpq reported LJ1300 not ready

This was truly maddening until I found the way around it.  Powercycling
the printer and/or restarting cups did not fix the problem.  Enabling full
logging to /var/log/cups/error_log did not indicate anything useful.
/var/log/messages did have cryptic:
 drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: error -19 reading printer status
entries.

It took several hours of STFW to find a workaround (the problem seems to
be common on the web).  A workaround (using the cups executable
/usr/bin/enable PRINTER) is pasted below from
http://www.easysw.com/cups/newsgroups.php?s5708+gcups.general+v5714

 	I fix this problem whith a script in the cron... this scrip read all de
printers from printers.conf and whith awk process the file.
Then, i have only the printers names, and whith ...enable printer_name...
i have each 5 minutes, all de printers enables!! :D

if you like, i can put this scrip in the forum...

Luciano

> did the computer doto sleep or suspend to ram?  desktop or latop ?  a
> guess
>
> matt
>
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 sevans at rutherfordglobal.com wrote:
>
> > I have the exact same problem anyone have a solution?
> >
> > > Several times a week one of my printers gets "disabled" by CUPS, and
printing doesn't work anymore until I manually "enable" this printer. It
happens both with USB and network printers. I'm running CUPS 1.1.23, but
the problem also happened with earlier versions of CUPS.