{admin_uri} substitution

Rafal rafal at poczta.homelinux.com
Fri Sep 9 01:24:50 PDT 2005

> Anonymous wrote:
> > Like: when `hostname` returns string without dots, just compare the
> > (dot-separated) first part of the ServerName?
>
> That won't work if you have two systems with the same name in
> different subdomains (e.g. printserver.lab1.foo.com and
> printserver.lab2.foo.com)
>
> Go ahead an file a bug report against CUPS 1.2 at:
>
>      http://www.cups.org/str.php

I'm doing this just now.

But still checking to have the problem stated as correctly as possible. And here is 'more evidence' I gathered.
--------------------/bin/bash-------------
anonymous at model:~/work/tmp$ hostname --fqdn
model.home.waw.pl
--------------man hostname ----------------
SYNOPSIS
       hostname   [-v]   [-a]  [--alias]  [-d]  [--domain]  [-f]
       [--fqdn] [-i] [--ip-address] [--long] [-s] [--short] [-y]
       [--yp] [--nis]
   THE FQDN
       You can't change the FQDN (as returned by hostname --fqdn)
       or the DNS domain name (as returned by dnsdomainname) with
       this command. The FQDN of the system is the name that  the
       resolver(3) returns for the host name.

       Technically: The FQDN is the name gethostbyname(2) returns
       for the host name returned  by  gethostname(2).   The  DNS
       domain name is the part after the first dot.

       Therefore  it  depends  on  the  configuration (usually in
       /etc/host.conf) how you can change  it.  Usually  (if  the
       hosts  file is parsed before DNS or NIS) you can change it
       in /etc/hosts.
-------------------------------

So I assume, that I have my configuration *exactly* as the command 'hostname' expects. It spills out FQDN only when requested explicitly.

on the other hand, I tried getdomainname() (looking for actual system call, the library referes to), and the results are not encouriging:
--------------test.c------------
main() {
        if (getdomainname(buff, BSIZE) == 0) {
                printf("%s\n", buff);
        }
}
-----------------------bash------------
anonymous at model:~/work/tmp$ ./a.out
(none)
anonymous at model:~/work/tmp$ strace ./a.out
uname({sys="Linux", node="model", ...}) = 0
write(1, "(none)\n", 7(none)

in short, the getdomainname() does not solve the none-FQDN problem, my system does not have setdomainname() set, still it yields an 'as expected': "dnsdomainname" AND "hostname --fqdn".

But it looks like libc authors (the hostname manpages) assume, that a correct way of looking for an FQDN is to use 'resolvers' calls not just gethostname. (some of their statements look a bit contradicting to me, so I'm not quite sure of the overall meaning).

So may be my bug report should request modification that: "function ippRewriteURL() should call resolver to get FQDN, when gethostname() returns string without dots."

Whout that be more apropriate?