[cups.development] [RFE] STR #1267: usb backend should retry even for model specific DeviceURI

jsmeix.suse jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Sep 12 02:06:13 PDT 2005

[STR New]

At the moment I use CUPS version 1.1.23
I have a HP LaserJet 1220.

The printer is switched off and I submit a print job:

When using a DeviceURI usb:/dev/usb/lp0
the usb backend retries and I get the message:
"Printer not connected; will retry in 30 seconds...".

When I use the DeviceURI "usb://HP/LaserJet%201220",
the backend doesn't retry but "stopped with status 1"
so that the queue becomes disabled and I get the error message
"Unable to open USB device "usb://HP/LaserJet%201220": No such device"

For me this behaviour looks inconsistent.
Therefore I propose that for CUPS 1.2 the
usb backend should retry in any case.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1267
Version: 1.2-feature