[cups.bugs] Re: [CRIT] STR #1285: PS-Files generated by windowshave trailing ^M

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri Sep 30 04:40:24 PDT 2005

Stefan Hildenbrand wrote:

> [STR New]
>
> After spending the whole day with fixing our printer problems the status
> concerning the previously filed STR is as follows:
>
> - The problems mentioned could not be blamed on the trailing ^M, so the
>   self-made filter was discarded
> - Printing from windows resulted in an PS-Error, printing the generated
>   job file from the samba server w/ "-oraw"-option worked well
>     => all this was done w/ SOCKET backend
>
> When using the HPNPF backend all MS-documents printed so far were printed
> as expected. So, to us it is not clear what the problem is -- we checked
> anything we could think of -- but we need a working configuration and so I
>
> will not keep looking for the exact reason --- except anyone has a clue.
>
> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1285
> Version: Web Site

It seems to me that something is going wrong with your configuration.
Obviously you did install the printer using the cupsaddsmb approach, thus your test file
coming out of MS word contains the CUPS kob ticket comment statements.
To be successfully printed on a real HP printer then, this file MUST go through the CUPS'
filter chain, especially through the pstops filter, and the CUPS server MUST use the
UNMODIFIED PPD.

I suspect you somehow forced raw printing. That explains why using the HPNPF backend works,
as that itself emits the necessary PJL commands (at least the minimal set, but no
option stuff).

To be sure, post more details about your configuration.

Helge

PS: As a resumee, I don' think it is a CUPS error.
--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung