[cups.development] [RFE] STR #1536: Let SMB-Backend use different credentials for each user

Christian Marg einhirn at gmx.net
Tue Apr 4 05:16:47 PDT 2006

[STR New]

We use a windows-based print accounting software and would like to use the
SMB backend to connect our unix-users to the queues on the windows server.

The windows server of course needs authentication - but a different for
each unix user, so that the accounting can be done correctly...

I saw that backends can signal the scheduler with "I need authentication
to do that" by returning CUPS_BACKEND_AUTH_REQUIRED.

Now what I imagine is something like windows does it: I have to connect
the Print server once, enter my password and then I can print until I end
my session. I'd like that for every user in unixland that wants to print
on the SMB queue...

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1536
Version:  -feature