[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #1592: When I start with print wizard unencrypted, all input gets lost when web interface switches to encrypted

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Sun Apr 23 13:42:34 PDT 2006

[STR New]

If I allow remote administration on a CUPS server and start the server's
web interface with

http://host:631/

from a remote machine, then click the "Administration" tab and start
adding a new printer by clicking one of the "Add printer" (manual setup)
or "Add this printer" (automatic setup of auto-detected printer) I get
into the Add Printer Wizard and all data is entered unencrypted (still on
"http://..."). In the end, when the queue gets actually added, CUPS
switches to SSL and shows an "Upgrade required" message, but instead of
then being asked for the password in SSL mode, I get directed to

http://host:631/admin/

and have to do all steps of the Add Printer Wizard again, this time in SSL
mode.

What I expect:

Either

make the web interface auto-upgrading to SSL before the wizard begins

OR

let it auto-upgrading to the step where I am (which would mean that in the
end of the wizard the "Upgrade required" message appears and then the
password dialog fires up and after entering the password I get
confirmation that the queue is set up).

I prefer the first of the two, as if the URI contains a password (eg:
smb://user:password@winserver/share/) the whole wizard always running in
SSL mode protects the password in the URI.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1592
Version: 1.2-current