[cups.bugs] [CRIT] STR #1623: "make test" may fill the harddisk

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sat Apr 29 15:21:26 PDT 2006

[STR New]

I don't know yet a concise description about how to reproduce the problem.
Therefor a more verbose description. I did the following:

* compiled (as user) SVN r5470 with "--with-ipp-port=20631
  --enable-ssl --enable-browse-short-names=no
  --with-domainsocket=/tmp/.cups.kp.sock"

* slightly modified the "test/run-stp-tests.sh" script (adding
  "LogLevel debug2"; left the 8631 port unchanged)

* then run "make test" (with "keep the scheduler running for me"
  and with "create a SSL/TLS certificate and key and require
  encryption" options)

* played a while with the web interface, tried to modify cupsd.conf
  etc.

* noticed that the "/tmp/.cups.kp.sock" domain socket was not
  auto-created as I had thought it would.

* stopped the running cupsd, addedd "Listen /tmp/.cups.kp.sock" to
  the right place in the "test/run-stp-tests.sh" script && run it again.

* came to a point when I was asked for authentication credentials.
  It didn't accept them. (Using "AuthType Basic" it should accept
  my user system password, as well as root's, right?).

Then I noticed the system was becoming very unresponsive:
* system load increased to 30, 50, 70...
* the error_log did go up very fast and started to filled the disk

After killing that cupsd started by "make test", I found it was mainly one
line that was repeated in high frequency and filled the file:

   'cupsdReadClient: 8, used=0, file=10 state=3'

was repeated millions of times. Which part of the code does write this
line? See below:

  kurt at soprano:~/SVNstuff/cups> time grep 'cupsdReadClient: 8, used=0,
file=10 state=3' /tmp/cups-kurt/log/error_log|wc
  3592413 28739304 401250522

  real    3m26.973s
  user    3m1.231s
  sys     0m1.800s
  kurt at soprano:~/SVNstuff/cups> ls -l /tmp/cups-kurt/log/error_log
  -rw-r--r--  1 kurt kurt 269709481 2006-04-29 23:35
/tmp/cups-kurt/log/error_log

I suspect that this is an indication of a problem that may also occur if
CUPS is installed in the system, and not only in the "make test" case.
Just wanted to let you know. Time doesn't permit to run further tests
right now.

Feel free to dismiss this STR if you think I did try to do weird things to
the "make test" target  :-)

Cheers,
Kurt

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1623