Configuring CUPS drivers

Karan Rath karan.rath at wipro.com
Wed Aug 9 10:56:02 PDT 2006

Hi,

Am writing the filter (called texttohp) which writes text files
directly to a HP PCL printer as described in the CUPS book. I wanted to confirm how exactly to configure this filter to work in the CUPS process. These are the steps i've undertaken:

1. Created the filter and copied it to the /usr/lib/cups/filter/ dir.
2. Added this line: *cupsFilter:    "text/* 0 texttohp" to the PPD to
be used for the printer and copied the PPD to the
/usr/share/cups/model/ dir.
3. Restarted the CUPS service.
4. Added a new printer with the PPD modified above.

Is there any other configuration I need to do for my driver to work?
There is no problem with the code as such cause I was using the filter
in a different machine and it used to work. But it doesnt seem to be
working now. I get the job as cancelled everytime i try to print. How do i know if the error is with my filter or with some configuration that i've missed out.