[HIGH] STR #1907: Problem printing GMT PostScript

John M Kuhn John.M.Kuhn at noaa.gov
Fri Aug 11 07:49:46 PDT 2006

> John M Kuhn wrote:
> > [STR New]
> >
> > I have a problem when printing PostScript files created with GMT (Generic
> > Mapping Tools) using Ubuntu Dapper 6.06.  This is using cupsys version
> > 1.2.2-0ubuntu0.6.06.  I create a PostScript file with the following
> > command:
> >
> > /usr/lib/gmt/bin/psxy --PAPER_MEDIA=letter -R1/7.5/1/10 -JX6.5i/9i \
> >    -Ba1f0.25WSne -P /dev/null > test.ps
> >
> > The resulting test.ps file previews correctly in gv and every other
> > PS viewer I have tried.  When I print the file, the resulting page
> > has my figure magnified about 4x such that the lower left of the
> > figure fills the entire page.  I get the same result on 4 different
> > PostScript printers (different models and manufacturers).
> >
> > Other PostScript files generated in OOo or Firefox print correctly.
> >
> > The file will print correctly if I use "-oraw".
> > If I copy the test.ps file to other machines running CUPS 1.1.23
> > or other spooling systems, the file will print correctly on the
> > same 4 printers.
> >
> > It appears that pstops is doing something that causes the PostScript
> > command "0.24 0.24 scale" to be ignored resulting in the figure
> > being scaled by a factor of 4.16667.
> >
> > I filed a bug with Ubuntu:
> >    https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/55694
> >
> > Pascal De Vuyst confirmed the bug and suggested that I file here.
> >
> > Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1907
> > Version: 1.2.2
>
> The generated PS stream violates the DSC in the following respects:
>
> (1) the first %%EndProlog comment line must be deleted; there is another one
>      at the (presumably) correct position.
> (2) The prolog section is in fact a mixture of procedure definitions
>      ans setup statements.
>
> But fixing (1) above should be enough to make it suitable for the pstops
> filter of 1.2.x.
>
> If you cannot fix this in GMT and desperately need it to work with CUPS 1.2.x,
> let me know; fixing (1) above could be done by a simple filter script
> in CUPS.
>
> Helge
>
> --
> Helge Blischke
> Softwareentwicklung
> SRZ Berlin | Firmengruppe besscom
> http://www.srz.de

I tried removing the first %%EndProlog and it doesn't make any
difference in my printed result.  I agree that it is a problem and
I will report back to the GMT authors about this.

Although I know a bit about PostScript, I don't understand your
second comment.  Are you saying that some of what is in Prolog
should be moved to section Setup?