[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #1940: LaserJet 1320 always prompts for paper with CUPS 1.2.0 & manufacturer's PPD

Tristan Miller psychonaut at nothingisreal.com
Tue Aug 29 05:08:25 PDT 2006

[STR New]

I have an HP LaserJet 1320.  I was using CUPS 1.1.23, installed from SuSE
RPMs, and the manufacturer's PPD, also installed from SuSE RPMs
(manufacturer-PPDs-0.4-13.rpm).  With this setup, I was able to print
locally without problems, but not remotely (STR #1717).

To fix STR #1717, I upgraded to CUPS 1.2.0 (using the SuSE RPM).  This
fixed STR #1717, but introduced a new problem: the printer would always
prompt for paper (once per job).  I had to press the green continue button
on the printer for each job to force it to print.

This problem occurs with the manufacturer's PPD
(manufacturer-PPDs/hp/HP_LaserJet_1320_Series.ppd.gz), but not with the
one that comes with the CUPS base installation
(HP/LaserJet_1320-Postscript.ppd.gz).  However, the manufacturer's PPD is
otherwise preferable because it has more configuration settings.

I have also tried a patched version of the manufacturer's PPD, produced
with <http://users.adelphia.net/~david.everly/ppd/hplj1320.sh>, and so far
this seems to be working.

The bug, then, seems to be that, when using the very same manufacturer's
PPD, CUPS 1.1.2 works but CUPS 1.2.0 doesn't.