CUPS horror story

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Aug 30 04:44:19 PDT 2006

Zoubidoo wrote:
> I came across this rather damning article of CUPS a few months ago.
>
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
>
> IMHO it has many good points that should be addressed to make CUPS
> more accessible to users of all levels.
>
> Has the article been seen by the CUPS community?  Has it led to any
> action being taken?

First, this is old news - originally posted in Jan 2004...

Second, most of the issues brought up in the article were issues with
the Linux distribution ESR used and not with CUPS itself.  I can't
speak for the Linux distributors, however there is still room for a
lot of improvement there, something that we are actively pushing for
at the Linux Printing Summits.

I believe that we have addressed all of the CUPS-specific issues in
CUPS 1.2, such that setting up and sharing a printer in 1.2 is now as
simple as choosing "Manage Printing" from the "System" menu to bring
up the CUPS web interface and then either clicking on the "Add This
Printer" button or the "Share published printers connected to this
system" check box.