Linux printing doesn't work

tj 999alfred at comcast.net
Sat Dec 2 15:21:22 PST 2006

Will somebody please tell me why I should use Linux over Windows. I cannot get my printer to print what I want it to. I am trying to use glabels to make some business cards, but I cannot get the printer to print where it is supposed to to actually place the printing correctly on the Avery card stock.

I have a Brother HL-1440 laser under cups. I create my buisness cards, but when I print, I tried to paper first to make sure the alignment was correct, the guide lines are NOT 0.5" from the top margin, but just slightly over 5/16's of an inch. Good thing I used the much cheaper paper, since all the printing was a 1/4" to high for the card stock.

I then tried sending the glabel print to a PS file and looked at it with ghostview. It showed that the first guide line was at 36 points, or 1/2" which is what the glabels template called for. Ok, I tried printing it from gv, but the same thing happened. The first guide line was just over 5/16"(.319") from top of page, not 1/2"(.5") as it should, and what gv showed.

I posted this befor, but got absolutly no answers.

So, again tell me how I can use Linux in place of Windows?

tj