Linux printing doesn't work

Bernd Krumböck b.krumboeck at rewe-group.at
Sun Dec 3 03:05:00 PST 2006

Hello!

tj wrote:

> Will somebody please tell me why I should use Linux over Windows.

No, this is your decision.

> I then tried sending the glabel print to a PS file and looked at it with
> ghostview. It showed that the first guide line was at 36 points, or 1/2"
> which is what the glabels template called for. Ok, I tried printing it
> from gv, but the same thing happened. The first guide line was just over
> 5/16"(.319") from top of page, not 1/2"(.5") as it should, and what gv
> showed.

Which system/distribution?
Which CUPS version?
Which PPD file?
Where does the PPD file come from? linuxprinting.org? gutenprint?

> I posted this befor, but got absolutly no answers.

I'm sorry, but this is a public mailing list.
Users (and also developers) try to help users. Not more not less.

> So, again tell me how I can use Linux in place of Windows?

There exists much more than one printer, printer driver and spooling system.
If you have problems feel free to change any of this three components.

Some suggestions:
*) Get another PPD for your printer (vendor homepage, other websites or try
to extract from windows driver)
*) Look at gutenprint (http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net)

best regards!
Bernd