[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2135: Collate behavior not consistent with multiple-document-collated-copies

George Liu george.liu at ussj.ricoh.com
Mon Dec 4 09:30:53 PST 2006

George Liu wrote:
> Looks like
> "lp -d xxx -n 2 -o collate=true" and
> "lp -d xxx -n 2 -o
multiple-document-handling=multiple-document-collated-copies" are handled
differently.

> for -o collate=true, it looks like CUPS searches PPD to see whether
printer supports hardware Collate, if so, merely set "*RBINumCopies=2".

> For multiple-document-collated-copies, CUPS just assume printer
> doesn't support hardware Collate, use software to emulate collate
> effect and set "*RBINumCopies=1" (As a result, the size of datastream
> is multiplied)
>

> Unless there's any underlying reason, I believe CUPS should use a
> consistent behavior to handle collate. I prefer the way "-o collate"
> is handled. (meaning CUPS checks whether printer supports hardware
> collate)

We just need to have cupsMarkOptions look for the
multiple-document-handling option and mark the Collate option in the PPD
file...

Please file a bug report:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php

Thanks!