[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #2150: Cups 1.2.x usb backend doesn't recognise printers with customized names...

Branko Badrljica brankob at avtomatika.com
Thu Dec 14 04:28:24 PST 2006

After updating CUPS to 1.2.6 (and 1.2.7 behaves the same way) my HP
LAserjet
1200, which is connected through USB port to the server, has stopped
working.

After whole day of re-emergeing dependencies and fiddling woth everything,
have found the reason: its usb backend - "/usr/libexec/cups/backends/usb"
expects to see usb printers in /dev/usb conventionally named (lp0,lp1
etc).

SInce I had written extra rule for hotplug that makes my printer device
node
named "/dev/usb/ljr_1200", backend did not recognise it and preinter under
CUPS
refused to work. Simple link "ln /dev/usb/ljr_1200 /dev/usb/lp0" has
remedied
the situation.

My system is dual opteron with hardened kernel and Gentoo selinux.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2150
Version: 1.2-current