[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #2162: cups-lpd does not pass through the title of a print job

Alexander Leidinger Alexander+cupsPR at Leidinger.net
Mon Dec 18 05:48:49 PST 2006

Hi,

testcase:
 - Solaris 10 print system (SYSV lpd) on host A
 - /etc/printer.conf setup to forward to a cups server (Solaris 10 too)
via ":bsdaddr=<cups_server>,PrinterName:"
 - printing with 'lp -t mytitle <file>' (native lp, not the cups
replacement) on system A
 - on the cups_server (system B):
   * inetd.conf: printer stream tcp nowait lp /path/to/cups-lpd cups-lpd
-o document-format=application/octet-stream -o banner=never

result as observed in the webinterface on cups_server:
 - job is printed
 - "User" is set correctly
 - "Name" is set to "Unknown" and not to "mytitle"

Now think about several hundred printers and a lot of users which print
upto several thousand pages in one job. We use an application specific job
number in the title of the call to lp and expect to see it in the
webinterface (e.g. to be able to cancel a specific job in case it is
wrongly submitted multiple times).

Using the cups replacement lp executable was not tested and would be a
workaround which we don't like because it would mean to have to customize
all machines (with various OS versions) with additional binaries which
have to be updated seperately from the OS itself.

Recompiling the software on the cups server with a patch (either provided
by you or by diffing and stripping down the differences of a new release
of cups with the 1.2.6 version we use by ourself) would be the best
option. An explanation of the changes needed (and where) so that we
implement it ourself is an option too (depending on the difficulty).

Bye,
Alexander.