CUPS doesn't seem to know about Tabloid/Ledger paper.

Carl Ponder cponder at austin.ibm.com
Tue Dec 19 20:20:03 PST 2006

I'm running RHEL 4 on a PC/T41 laptop. The printer on my
floor is capable of printing Tabloid/Ledger paper, and I
use it to print calendars & spreadsheets etc. where I need
to see a lot of information in one view.

I wrote files

	/etc/cups/ppd/usausljp,simplex,tabloid.ppd
	/etc/cups/ppd/usausljp,duplex,tabloid.ppd

that submit tabloid jobs to our "usausljp" printer, printing
either one-sided or two-sided. The difference between the
"letter" and "tabloid" files is as follows:

	*UIConstraints: *PageSize Tabloid *InputSlot Envelope
	*DefaultPageSize: Tabloid
	*PageSize Tabloid/Tabloid:      "<</PageSize[792 1224]/ImagingBBox null>>setpagedevice"
	*DefaultPageRegion: Tabloid
	*PageRegion Tabloid/Tabloid:  "<</PageSize[792 1224]/ImagingBBox null>>setpagedevice"
	*DefaultImageableArea: Tabloid
	*ImageableArea Tabloid/US Tabloid:      "18 36 774 1188"
	*DefaultPaperDimension: Tabloid
	*PaperDimension Tabloid/Tabloid:        "792 1224"

This is working fine when I print spreadsheets from OpenOffice,
and Mozilla will support tabloid-page formatting in the near
future.

Oddly enough, the settings in the files reverted to "letter"
once, and I had to re-edit them. I suspect that some other
file or script contains a list of known paper types, not
including tabloid/ledger, and some update script rewrote the
files to use the default "letter" page type.

What would it take to get CUPS to include tabloid/ledger
paper as a supported type? I can't imagine it being that
hard! Thanks,

		Carl