[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #2170: usb backend does not detect Kyocera FS-820 on gentoo-linux

Martin cups at zut.de
Thu Dec 21 05:44:46 PST 2006

Since cups 1.2.6, the usb backend usually does not detect the usb connected
printer Kyocera FS-820. With usually I mean some seconds after plugging in
the usb cable. Attached is the output of two strace-runs of the backend.
In the first run I was lucky to get a successful result, the second run is
the usual reaction. As far as I understand, the ioctl in iee1284.c fails.
Due to the failure, I can not choose usb as a port where a printer is
connected in the web frontend. The printer was running well with cups
1.1.x

Kernel running is
heinrich backend # uname -a
Linux heinrich 2.6.18-gentoo-r4 #1 PREEMPT Thu Dec 7 22:50:47 CET 2006
i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

I have not yet tried older kernels, but will provide all necessary
information (kernel config?) if needed. I already filed a bug report on
gentoo packages, with no reaction so far.