[cups.bugs] Re: [MOD] STR #1411: Need ability to bypass only the pstops filter, not the rendering filter.

hutch at psfc.mit.edu hutch at psfc.mit.edu
Mon Feb 6 06:58:23 PST 2006

Thanks Michael, for a clear reply.

Your answer is, in summary, that the ability exists already:
use "-o document-format=application/vnd.cups-postscript",
or else ensure that the document has only "%!" declarative,
but beware because this may lead to other difficulties.

I guess, maybe, I did not read the documentation well enough to discover
the option technique. Perhaps it might be something to make clearer in the
documentation.

The files I was troubled by have %!PS- at the top, not %!PS-Adobe-m.n.
>From your reply I gather that that is the reason pstops is still trying to
filter them. I wonder how much of the DSC declarative ought to be missing
before one regards them as not claiming conformity. I previously regarded
%!PS- as a reasonable claim to be PS but not DSC. Using %! seems rather
short. I am not aware of any convention other than pstops that says this
is the PostScript (without DSC) indicator.

Not conforming to DSC, and being "garbage" are two different things.
I grant that the CUPS and pstops documentation says that files must be DSC
conforming. My request was to accommodate files that are known to be
correct, printable Postscript, but don't happen to conform to DSC. I think
that CUPS should accommodate those. You say that the above option is an
approach. I'll try it.

	Ian Hutchinson
	http://www.psfc.mit.edu/people/hutch/