[cups.bugs] Re: [MOD] STR #1411: Need ability to bypass only the pstops filter, not the rendering filter.

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Feb 6 08:35:50 PST 2006

hutch at psfc.mit.edu wrote:
> The files I was troubled by have %!PS- at the top, not %!PS-Adobe-m.n.
> From your reply I gather that that is the reason pstops is still trying to
> filter them. I wonder how much of the DSC declarative ought to be missing
> before one regards them as not claiming conformity. I previously regarded
> %!PS- as a reasonable claim to be PS but not DSC. Using %! seems rather
> short. I am not aware of any convention other than pstops that says this
> is the PostScript (without DSC) indicator.

%! is the universal PostScript prefix, as recognized by CUPS and
all PostScript printers.

The pstops filter looks for "%!PS-Adobe-" on the first line of the
file - if your file starts with %!PS- then it should be treated as
a non-conforming file.

> Not conforming to DSC, and being "garbage" are two different things.

Correct, however if you have a non-conforming file with "%!PS-Adobe-"
on the first line, then you have a file which cannot be handled
properly.  I define that as "garbage", because the you won't get what
you expect...