[cups.bugs] Re: [MOD] STR #1411: Need ability to bypass only the pstops filter, not the rendering filter.

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Feb 7 02:28:13 PST 2006

Hello,

On Feb 6 09:57 hutch at psfc.mit.edu wrote (shortened):
> The files I was troubled by have %!PS- at the top, not %!PS-Adobe-m.n.
> I previously regarded
> %!PS- as a reasonable claim to be PS but not DSC. Using %! seems rather
> short. I am not aware of any convention other than pstops that says this
> is the PostScript (without DSC) indicator.

The Adobe "PostScript Language Document Structuring Conventions
Specification" version 3.0 (i.e. the current "DSC" spec.)
reads in section "3.1 Conforming Documents":
A conforming document is recognized by the header comment
%!PS-Adobe-3.0
and in section "3.2 Non-Conforming Documents""
A non-conforming document most likely will not receive any
services from a document manager
A non-conforming document is recognized by the %! header
comment.
Under NO circumstances should a non-conforming document use
the %!PS-Adobe-3.0 header comment.

If the pstops filter would strictly follow the DSC spec.
you would get most likely no features at all for most of your
documents which are made by more or less buggy applications
(I mean buggy regarding making DSC compliant PostScript).

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de