postscript error

john boyden boyden at astro.ucla.edu
Tue Feb 14 10:36:54 PST 2006

I've written a postscript program that has always worked
with ghostview, any postscript printer, adobe acrobat,
pstopdf, etc.  The astronomy department at UCLA has installed
CUPS to keep track of the number of pages printed by the
department as well as the other advantages of CUPS.  My
problem is that CUPS introduces it's postscript into my
program which causes a postscript error.  I've found a
workaround, -o raw from linux which requires me to copy my
postscript file to a linux computer before printing but this
defeats the number of pages requirement.  Here is what the
printer error looks like:

ERROR: undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND: ESPwl "ESPwl" COMMAND TYPE: nametype

OPERAND STACK:(0 total entries)

DICTIONARY STACK:(3 total entries)
  ===top of stack===
  userdict
  globaldict
  systemdict

EXECUTION STACK:(6 total entries)
  ===top of stack===
  ESPwl
  -filestream-
  {--exit_job--}
  -- at stopped--
  {--interrupts_no-- {false --setglobal-- --interrupts_reset-- { --cleardictstack-- -dictionary- --begin-- -dictionary- --begin-- } --exec-- ...} --stopped-- { -dictionary- /endjob true --put--} --if--...}
   -- at exec--

BYTES FROM CURRENTFILE BEFORE ERROR:
  ^M^Jgsave^JESPwl^J

BYTES FROM CURRENTFILE AFTER ERROR:
  grestore^JESPshowpage^J^D

I've looked at the file submitted to the printer and it looks as if
another head and tail has been added with ESPshowpage substituted for
showpage.

John Boyden