[cups.development] [RFE] STR #1445: STR 915 redux: will it be possible for admin to remap keywords?

Chapman Flack ghost at anastigmatix.net
Sun Feb 26 11:48:03 PST 2006

[STR New]

http://www.cups.org/str.php?L915 concerned vendor PPDs that use
idiosyncratic keywords for standard options (EFDuplex and such).
The resolution says "The new implementation will allow us to add
additional options and choices in the future as needed." Here's my
question:

Will that mean "we" (ESP) can easily add new mappings of
vendorsyncratic PPD keywords to the standard ones, or that an admin
can easily do it from the admin UI?  I think this kind of thing
happens a lot; I've got a Tektronix that uses TKCollate and
TKOutputOrder to mean Collate and OutputOrder; that causes CUPS to
think it can't natively collate, and to do unnecessary and
revolting things while filtering.  I could envision a "Standardize
PPD" admin screen that would show a column of the PPD's main
keywords next to a column of the standard recognized keywords that
have not been matched in the PPD, and let the admin indicate if any
correspond. That would lead to a screen showing the option keywords
used with the vendor option and those known for the standard
option, so the admin can match up those as well. It could all get saved
in a mapping file that could be submitted back to ESP for inclusion
in future distributions, but meanwhile the admin is in business
right away.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1445
Version:  -feature