Force grayscale with color PostScript file

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Jan 5 08:22:43 PST 2006

yaggg2 at macrotex.net wrote:

> We have a color laser printer but we want to allow only some people to print to it in color. So, we would like to force some locations to get output only in grayscale. However, we do not control these locations printer setups, so they might be sending us PostScript jobs in color.
>
> Is there a way with ESP Ghostscript (or CUPS in general) to convert these color PostScript files to black-and-white PostScript so we could then send the black-and-white PostScript files to the color printer?
>
> Thanks.

If your printer supports different color spaces, you could define a JobPatchFile in your PPD
that first sets <</ProcessColorModel /DeviceGray>>setpagedevice, then redefines the setcolorspace
operator to a procedure that acts as a no-op, redefine the setcolor and the other color related
operators to convert n-component color specs to an appropriate grayscale value, etc.

You need quite a bit PostScript skills to do this sort of bullet-proof, but it will work.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung