[cups.bugs] Linker failure on amd64 due to -pie

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 18 10:08:30 PST 2006

Hi Michael!

I removed .SILENT, thanks for the hint.

Michael Sweet [2006-01-18 11:16 -0500]:
> >My current workaround is to disable -fpie with a small patch to
> >configure, but that's certainly not a final solution. Any idea what
> >could be wrong?
>
> Does changing this to "-fPIE" work any better?

-fPIC was used all the time unconditionally, it's (almost) hardcoded
into config-scripts/cups-compiler.m4. But even if I change that to
-fPIE, or add -fPIE in addition, it always breaks with the same error.

So, my current hack of removing -fpie doesn't seem too bad even, since
-fPIC is still used.

> Also, what version of GCC are you using?

4.0.2 with some fixes from CVS (20060115).

Thanks,

Martin
--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?