lp -n does not print multiple copies with text only printer

ctatman at gmail.com ctatman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 19:47:28 PST 2006

Hello,

Sorry if this is not the correct place to post.  Please redirect me if otherwise.  I've searched google and numerous bug pages, and have seen references to this but not a fix....

I have a number of ascii-only printers which I've set up as 'text-only' via the CUPS Web admin interface on my rhel3 servers.  Yet I cannot print multiple copies of any print jobs via the lp -n command.

After a little testing, I was able to successfully reproduce this issue on several models of HP printers that support postscript.

Steps to reproduce:

1.  RHEL3 U6 AS & FC4 - fully updated.
2.  HP laserjet printer networked through Jetdirect card
3.  I used the CUPS web interface to set up the printer as "Text Only"
4.  A test page prints out just fine, but the lp -n 3 command only
prints out 1 copy of any job I send to it.

Process:
step 1
I used the CUPS web interface to set up the
networked HP printer as a "Text Only Printer."  After restarting cups service, I was able to successfully generate a test page.  I then tested the lp command with the following: echo "test me out" | lp -n 3 -d testprinter.  This failed to produce the expected 3 copies- I got only 1 copy.

step 2
Re-run CUPS webserver, select the HP printer I originally
set up, and modify it to use generic->postscript driver.  Choose Test->CUPS test page to make sure that the driver is working.  Then go ahead and try: echo "test me out" | lp -n 3 -d testprinter.  This printed out the expected number of pages for me.

I cannot use the postscript drivers on my ascii-only printers, I get garbage whenever I print to them with that driver.  LPRng prints like a champ.  And after editing the /etc/printcap.local file to include mc=10, and a form feed, I can print multiple copies through it.

Am I missing something here?  Thanks in advance for any insight/help you can offer.