High CPU Usage cupsd 1.2svn r4964

Michael R Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Jan 25 06:18:27 PST 2006

Gerd Bavendiek wrote:
> Unfortunately cupsd takes quite a lot of CPU time (only on the third
> node, the one with hopefully zero administration and a 0 byte
> printers.conf. cupsd both on antwerpen and bruessel takes only very
> little CPU).
> stracing the process I can see that after getting data from antwerpen
> or bruessel via select / recvfrom cupsd always opens /etc/services
> and reads this file completely (it's 583K). Running strace -c for a
> second or two gives:

Can you file a STR for this:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php

We've done a lot of optimization for this use case and haven't seen
this kind of load before, but it is possible recent changes may have
affected things.

Make sure to include the cupsd.conf and error_log files from polly
along with the details in your original post so we can duplicate
things here.

Thanks!