firewire: epson r1800 ???

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Jul 10 13:07:11 PDT 2006

helices wrote:
> Please, help me to get the subject printer working with firewire.

Short answer: ain't gonna happen on Linux, not unless someone
revisits the current ieee1394 backend code and updates the kernel
and libraw1394 interfaces to support the transfer modes required
by the PWG protocol used by the R1800's Firewire interface...

> Yes, I know that I can do this with usb; but, I really want the
> additional throughput of firewire.

Realistically, Firewire doesn't buy you anything over USB 2.0 high
speed for this printer.  The *only* printers I've used that need the
speed of Firewire are the Stylus Pro 10k printers.  All of the other
Epson printers are not bandwidth-limited...

> I have seen references to using ipp; but, is that supported by my
> printer?

No.

> I have seen references to using scsi; but, I have not found a device
> binding for configuration.

The R1800 and all of the other consumer printers from Epson do not
support SCSI-over-Firewire.  If they did, you'd use the SCSI backend
with the sbp2 kernel module.