[cups.bugs] Re: [HIGH] STR #1831: Glyphs are clipped on top, bottom and right sides

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Tue Jul 11 13:34:57 PDT 2006

Rajeev Sebastian <rajeev.sebastian at gmail.com> wrote (Tuesday 11 July 2006 22:12):

> -----
>
> My latest comment was regarding a minimal sample that demonstrates the
> issue.
>
> Now, when you had asked me (on IRC)  to provide a minimal version of
> the PDF file which shows the problem, I decided to take the problem
> glyphs alone, in various font sizes, etc.
>
> However this doesnt work: the issue arises only when the number of
> glyphs that have been embedded exceeds a certain value which seems to
> be 110. Below that value, the issue doesnt arise (there is no
> clipping).
>
> In order to demonstrate this particular problem, please see the 2
> files that have been attached to this STR. You may want to convert
> them to .ps and then use a diff tool (I use KDiff3) to see some
> differences.
>

>> Also, can you create a file that includes a font sample at various font
>> sizes (that would probably be a better target to debug the problem)?
> Please see above.
>

>> What is this font? Where can it be downloaded? How was the PDF file
>> created?
> The PDF file was created by a version of OOo 2.0.1. The font is
> currently unreleased, but an earlier version of it is in the
> Debian/Ubuntu distro.

Look, there are various problems with that way of presenting your
case.

Hardly anyone in this forum does understand the script involved.
All the harder it is to spot the problem for them. Especially when
looking at the PDFs you provided: everyone will look at them, and
see no difference (and there is none); nobody will have understood
that you have to convert both PDFs into PostScript first, and then
view that PS to see the difference these two files give....

Why can't you create a screenshot from a PS viewer and visually
highlight the problem areas?

Why don't you just create the file with a *large* fontsize (as I
requested before), so that I could look at printouts from a PDF-
consuming printer without needing additional magnifying glasses to
see if it is good or bad?

Cheers,
Kurt