[LOW] STR #1262: Occasionally cups reports "Unable

Harald Brinkmann hb7267 at gmx.net
Mon Jul 17 14:09:15 PDT 2006

Sorry to dig this up again, which may well be fixed by now:

Wouldn't the effect of a disconnected or switched-off USB printer being permanently disabled by CUPS be a "Frequently Asked Question"? During my search for an answer to my problem, I found a lot of questions to this effect on the net, but I only found the answer here while digging through a LOT of forum posts.

Also, I am running a SuSE9.2 stock version of CUPS (v1.1.21) and the proposed solution of changing the device URI from something like /dev/usb/lp0 to usb://HP/LaserJet%201200 didn't change anything for me. This is what the web interface says about the printer after I tried to print while it was switched off:

Local Raw Printer
Location: USB printer on /dev/usb/lp0
Printer State: stopped, accepting jobs.
"Unable to open USB device "usb://HP/LaserJet%201200": No such device"
Device URI: usb://HP/LaserJet 1200

Harald