Cups hangs on restart

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Jul 19 12:47:43 PDT 2006

Vipin Samuel <vipin at wcs.ab.ca> wrote (Wednesday 19 July 2006 16:47):

> I'm running Red Hat Enterprise 3 and when I try and
> restart cups, it just hangs.

I don't use Red Hat, and hence I don't know which version of
CUPS ships by RHEL 3.

However, I know that Red Hat do patch CUPS quite heavily, and
therefor any standard advice by someone not familiar with that
distro will be shaky. Also, don't they by default enable SE
Linux?

Did you ask Red Hat for support?

> I have to reboot the
> server to get it to start again. Here is the message
> in the error_log, where it hangs
>
> LoadDevices: Backend did not respond within 30 seconds!

You don't even say which backend(s), how many printers, how
they are connected, wether you did switch to "LogLevel debug"
and record more detailed error_log findings...  So?

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You surely need to give more details...

Cheers,
Kurt