[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1850: GS using 800MB of VSZ memory for a 15KB eps file

Thomas Heiserowski th.heiserowski at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 13:19:42 PDT 2006

[STR New]

I came accross some problems using eps files with gs. My system got _very_
slow and the hard disk swapped continuously.

I ran "watch -n 1 free -m" to see my physical memory decline within a few
seconds. The system started swapping, of course, and everything got less
responsive.

I use app-text/ghostscript-esp-8.15.2_p20060520 on Gentoo compiled with
USE="X cups gtk xml -cjk -emacs -threads".

What I did:

Convert PDF files generated with Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Printer Driver to eps
files using "pdftops -level2 -eps file.pdf".

Then I included that image in LaTeX and ran "latex", "dvips", "ps2pdf14
-sPAPERSIZE=a4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/printer -dDoThumbnails -dLZWEncodePages
file.ps". Everything went fine until ps2pdf14. This starts gs and gs
starts using my memory: 800MB virtual, 320MB real (out of 512MB). I had
the same problems using "eps2eps" on that file directly. The problem did
also occur, when I used Konqueror and went into the directory where the
files are stored (preview thumbnails are generated).

The error did not always occur, maybe in 7 out of 10 tries. I had the
problem with all files that where created this way.

Could this be a font problem?

You can find one of the files at http://krapplack.de/bug/gs/alerts.eps

Maybe the fault is on my side somewhere in between, but gs shouldn't use
all memory, I think. Any help and hints are very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Thomas