[cups.development] Re: [RFE] STR #1679: Face-up printers should have option to print last-to-first pages

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Jul 19 18:24:53 PDT 2006

Philip Prindeville <philipp at redfish-solutions.com> wrote (Thursday 20 July 2006 02:59):

> The issue is that this is a networked printer, it's printed to not just
> from Linux boxes, but also Windows, etc...  not all applications
> support back-to-front printing when not printing from the command
> line with "lp"...

You're starting to ask for more, now that your initial request is
satisfied :-)

What I subtly hinted at before (reading some bits of docu sometimes
helps), is still valid.  :-)

Look up "man lpoptions" for example. If you put the "outputorder"
option into a user's ~/.lpoptions file (or into /etc/cups/lpoptions),
that option will be used even if not explicitely applied from the
commandline. It will be used by all applications that use the CUPS
print commands (or API), such as KDE's kprinter.

As for setting a default on the server for all clients: CUPS 1.2.x
can help here (are you using it already?). See the growing
documentation on your own machine

   http://localhost:631/help/
   http://localhost:631/help/ref-printers-conf.html

or on the CUPS.org website

   http://www.cups.org/documentation.php
   http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/ref-printers-conf.html

On the ref-printers-conf.html page search for "Option". I think it
will do what you want. Put the line

  Option outputorder reverse

into the  <Printer HP_Deskjet_970c>....</Printer>  section of your
printers.conf (I've not yet personally tested that new feature).

> And I want it to be a defaulted server-side setting
> on the printer's directly attached host (so that it gets done whether
> the printing client specifies it or not).

Ha!, another case of extending your wishlist  :-)
You didn't mention that one in your original feature request.

Anyways, if you put it into a printers.conf Option line, the clients
should always get it unless they override it on the commandline, or
in their own .lpoptions file, by specifying "outputorder=normal".

> -Philip

Cheers,
Kurt