[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #1867: Printing via CUPS from Linux to a Win XP print server has issues

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Jul 26 05:29:27 PDT 2006

[STR New]

I'll need a bit of help even to file a proper bug, you'll see in a moment
why, please bear with me.

System is Linux Fedora Core 5 fully updated, running CUPS-1.2.1-1.7.
Print server is Windows XP Professional, with Epson Stylus Photo 780
printer attached via parallel port.
CUPS is configured to print to Windows via Networked Windows (SMB).

In some situations, printing fails in a strange way: the printed page
starts out fine, but after printing like 60% ... 80% of the whole page,
the printed area starts to fade out. The bottom of the page ends up blank.

This happens from a variety of applications. Just now TuxPaint printed a
page exactly as I described above. IIRC, Firefox also has issues.
OpenOffice too, IIRC. It just doesn't happen all the time.

Printing directly from Windows never fails.

I'm not sure how to give you a sample of the broken printed page. I don't
suppose you expect me to scan/fax a page to y'all. :-)
Maybe I could configure Windows to print to a file instead? Would that be
a good idea?

I am open to any suggestions. If you want me to try out different things,
let me know. Just don't expect me to print a ton of pages. :-)