[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #1872: Unknown -o option argument use not reported by lpr/lp

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Jul 28 09:44:14 PDT 2006

[STR New]

Am I missing something? I just accidentally used an incorrect option to
lpr:

lpr -o sides=double-sided-long-edge HTMLPrimerPDF.pdf

What I meant, of course, was:

lpr -o sides=two-sided-long-edge HTMLPrimerPDF.pdf

and this last works and prints two-sided as I expect.

The bad first attempt didn't give rise to any error message on standard
error at the command line, and the cupsd page.log shows 24 pages as having
printed (just like the successful attempt), but of course it is printed
single-sided.

I have configured CUPS (via the 'Set Printer Options' page of the web
admin interface) to have a duplexer. The printer has an appropriate PPD
file configured for CUPS as far as I can tell.

I can't see anything to describe this apparent failing in the CUPS books,
the CUPS web-site documentation or articles. Surely I've missed something?

While I'd say that most people now print to CUPS from a GUI application,
there's still a lot of command line usage. It is still important. I can
forsee a lot of angry users turning up at my desk to tell me that their
command options have been ignored, and that they now have a bundle of
expensive scrap paper.

In case this report is turned into a feature request, I'd like the command
to give something like the following error message on standard error and
for nothing to be sent for printing:

$ lpr -o sides=double-sided-long-edge HTMLPrimerPDF.pdf
lpr: error, unknown option "-o sides=double-sided-long-edge" (document not
queued for printing)
$

John A. Murdie